Hi, my name is Paul Groenendyk. Below is a brief overview of my professional activities over the past few years.
I have 24 years experience in the design industry, having recently completed an eight year tenure with GSBI (Gravelle Swain Brand Identity), heading up their Thailand office and serving as Asia Regional Manager. My roles were quite diverse and included directly liaising and serving local and regional clients at a senior level, managing staff and budgets in a busy multi-cultural studio, implementing client process change and overseeing design and production quality for projects in Brunei, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.
Our international clients included; Central Food Retail Company Limited, B2S and the British Chamber of Commerce (Thailand), The Government of Brunei (BDN), Coles Supermarkets (Aus), Boots (UK), and PARK ‘n SHOP (HK). I returned to New Zealand in 2016 where I ran the Bangkok office remotely whilst the company transitioned to new ownership. This process is now all but complete.
I first held the position of Production Manager at GSBI New Zealand, between 1999 and 2001 prior to moving to the UK, where I spent five years as the Creative Services Manager for Warner Bros., Consumer Products EMEA. My responsibilities there included the design and production of a wide range of design roll-outs for varying media and licensed properties, as well as managing the team in their London Creative Studio. Core responsibility included management and maintenance of the hardware and design software systems, as well as implementing and controlling a digital asset management system. I was also responsible for the creation and delivery of the Warner Bros., License design style guides.
After returning from the UK, I operated as a Freelance Production Manager for a number of design agencies. I rejoined the GSBI management team in 2007 when I resumed the role of Production Manager. In 2010 I was promoted to Asia Regional Manager stationed in Bangkok, where I oversaw the operational requirements of our Asian and Australasian clients.
I have recently set up ’Brand Craft’ as a small business servicing my existing client base with projects that include branding, retail communication and process management. I am also actively seeking a full-time “hands on” role enabling me to fully utilize my multi-discipline experience.
A full complement of references is available in the ‘About’ section of this online portfolio. Please feel free to contact the authors for verification (brandcraft.co.nz).
You can contact me at: [email protected]
Client, project and team manager at a senior level. Specialist in strategic FMCG creative services and production. Proven track
• Experienced in full end-to-end project management
• Proficient in implementing organisational and studio processes to streamline work flows and efficiency
• Highly competent creative artworker and retoucher
• Excellent production and print knowledge
• Specialist in packaging artwork and print
• Positive relationships with clients and suppliers
• Familiar and comfortable working with NZ or overseas design and print providers
Owner/Manager / 2018 - current / Brandcraft
A business offering full end-to-end production management for design, digital and print projects.
• Obtaining briefs from clients, preparing reverse creative briefs (defining deliverables) and quotes for review
• Planning and coordinating all aspects of the design and print projects; including design, digital artwork, photography and print production
• Liaising with printers and suppliers to source materials and services that meet the client briefs
• Managing the business finances including invoicing, GST and administration
• Offered strategic advice on brand positioning, brand personality and tone of voice
Clients include: Red Cactus Design, LJ’s Marketing, GSBI LTD, Mayfair Pools, Boots (Asia), B2S (Asia).
Regional Manager (Asia) / 2005 - 2018 / GSBI
A brand marketing and design consultancy servicing clients in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Brunei, Thailand and China. Joined the company in 1999 as Production Manager and after a stint abroad, returned to the same role in 2007. Promoted to Regional Manager (Asia) in 2010, moving to the Bangkok office to oversee branch operations and meet the production requirements of a global client base.
• Completed design and packaging projects for Foodstuffs, Coles Australia, Tops Supermarkets and other clients in New Zealand and Asia
• Built up a database of clients, printers and suppliers in Thailand; developed strong FMCG contacts across Asia
• Managed the Bangkok office with up to 15 staff; handled clients, quotations and billing
• Member of the Design Council of the British Thai Chamber of Commerce and the NZ Thai Chamber of Commerce; built professional networks with Thai businesses
• Re-branded the Ministry of Primary Resources and Tourism in Brunei; visited the country a number of times and presented designs to Government Ministers and key stakeholders
• Established a new creative briefing process to capture more accurate information
• Implemented a process driven work-flow to streamline and optimize project management and delivery
Clients included: Central Food Retail, Boots (Asia), Coles Supermarkets, Ministry of Industry and Primary Resources Brunei, Brunei Halal, British Thai Chamber of Commerce, NZTCC, Giesen Wines.
Creative Services Studio Manager / 2000-2005 / GSBI
Creative Services Studio Manager - Warner Bros Consumer ProductsCreative Products
Responsible for designing and producing a wide range of artwork for varying mediums, as well as managing a medium sized creative studio. This involved liaising with internal and external suppliers, managing and maintaining the hardware and design software systems within the design group and implementing and controlling a digital asset system for our vast property base.
• Design and produced style guides, consumer product concepts, brand standards manuals, POP displays, internal marketing collateral for licensed properties
• Digitisation of character artwork for properties such as Looney Tunes, Harry Potter, Batman, Tom & Jerry and Cartoon Network
• Managed the creative studio; managed and maintained the hardware and design software systems
• Created and managed digital asset management system for style guide and character art assets
Industries I know well
Food & Beverage
Mediums I know well
Digital Menu Boards
Diploma in Marketing